A litte Text about Sample Preparation. Basic Information, Usecases etc.
Biofuel and biodiesel
In recent years, biofuel (biodiesel) is becoming increasingly popular in the world, a type of fuel derived from renewable resources with environmentally friendly combustion products. According to GOST R 52808-2007: “Non-conventional technologies. Bio-waste energy. Terms and definitions” biofuel is a solid, liquid or gaseous fuel obtained from biomass by thermochemical or biological methods.
Liquid biofuels are a promising class of fuels, the main use of which is engines. Liquid, or as it is also called, motor biofuel is obtained during the processing of vegetable raw materials (maize, rapeseed, sugar beet, sugar cane) by means of technologies based on the use of natural biological processes (for example, fermentation). Liquid biofuels are commonly understood as alcohols (methanol, ethanol, butanol), ethers, and biodiesel.
There are a number of solutions used for biofuel analysis on Dionex equipment:
- Determination of anions in ethanol and methanol
- Determination of anions in biobutanol
- Determination of cations in biofuels
- Determination of fat and carbohydrate content in biofuel feedstock
- Biomass composition analysis
- Monitoring the process of enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulosic biomass
- Accelerated solvent extraction of biomass fats
- Determination of anions in organic solvents
- Alcohol Fermentation Monitor (AFM)
Performed GOSTs, ASTM standards and other GD
- Determination of sulphates and chlorides in ethanol by ion chromatography – standards ASTM D4806, ASTM Practice D 4057 and ASTM Practice D 4177
- Determination of sulphates and chlorides in biobutanol by ion chromatography – ASTM D7328-07, ASTM D 7319-09, and also GOST R 54277-2010
- Determination of cations in biofuels by ion chromatography – ASTM D6751 or EN 14214
- Determination of halogen, nitrogen and sulfur – ASTM D7359-08, as well as ASTM D 6809
- Fuel Ethanol Technical Specifications (Ed75-Ed85) for Electric Ignition Engines – ASTM D 5798
- Standard Test Method for Determining Chlorides and Other Anions in Coolants (Antifreezes) by Ion Chromatography – ASTM D 5827
- Standard Test Method for Determining Glycerol in Biodiesel by Anion Exchange Ion Chromatography – ASTM D 7591
- Standard Test Method for Ammonium, Alkali and Alkaline-Earth Metals in Hydrogen and Other Fuel Gases by Ion Chromatography – ASTM D 7550